January 27, 2012 Leave a comment
My wife and I went to see Bill Cosby perform live in NYC. While the first half hour was so-so, he did deliver some pearls of wisdom.
One that I liked in particular was about some guy named Phil in Pennsylvania, who apparently makes the best Thanksgiving stuffing on the face of the Earth. Bill finally sits him down and asks for the recipe, so Phil says: “I take Stove Top stuffing.” Bill: “And?” Phil: “Nothing. I do what the box says. People always add things to the stuffing that simply do not belong there. Just do what the box says.”
Stick to the basics! The same applies to weight training and getting shape. Do not do any crazy diets, take 2-hour cardio classes, or use insane amounts of drugs.
Do what the box says, stick to the basics, keep it reasonable.
1. Have a plan. Why do you workout? Where do you want to be in 3 months? My book can help:)
2. Do your compound exercises such as the squat, dead lift, military press, pull up and rows. Strive to improve every week.
3. Eat your protein, 1.5 grams per lbs of body weight for men, women a little less (I know that the RDA by the FDA is lower but they also want you to eat starches 5 x a day).
4. Get your rest. Eight hours of sleep is a minimum.
5. Cut the junk food to once a week. You are a bodybuilder, not a competitive eater.
6. BE PROUD. Bodybuilding is one of the most rewarding things you can do, do not deny it to yourself. Enjoy the journey, be helpful to others in the gym and outside.
Forward, always forward